Author:- Viewpoint Eye
Wednesday 4th of October 2023 07:56:35 PM
World Sight Day is celebrated every second Thursday in the month of October. This whole month is dedicated to creating global awareness for the importance of eye care, visual impairment and blindness. The theme for this year’s World Sight Day is “Love Your Eyes at Work”. Coincidentally, Viewpoint will be celebrating her 10th year anniversary this month.
The eyes, though small, plays a very important role in our general health and our overall wellbeing as an individual. Globally, about 1 billion people are living with preventable visual impairment. Some common causes of visual impairment include; refractive error, cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, trauma etc. Studies show that more than 2000 people sustain eye injuries at work daily and 90% of these injuries can be avoided if preventive or protective eyecare measures are taken. It is therefore essential to prioritize your taking care of your eyes and protecting them from harm while at work.
This global campaign against blindness encourages everyone to take their eye health serious and understand the importance of safe observances and practices while at work to prevent blindness.
You can love your eyes by;
1. Making sure you get regular comprehensive eye examinations.
2. Use protective eyewear such as safety glasses with side shields, googles or face shields at your workplace if you are exposed to chemicals, radiation or sharp objects or when you are out in the sun.
3. Eating healthy and balanced diet
4. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly and practicing good hygiene
5. Manage any underlying health conditions properly such as diabetes, hypertension etc.
6. Quit smoking
7. Exercise regularly
8. Take sufficient breaks while working on the screen by practicing the 20-20-20 rule.
Eyecare should be made accessible to everyone and not just a particular set of people. Employers should also enforce standard practices for eyecare at work that will protect the eyes and well-being of workers and also increase productivity.
To celebrate this year’s World Sight Day, there will be a 10% off total bill (products or services) from 10th to 20th October, 2023. We will be creating awareness on social media about eye health and eye care practices. Please check our social media page for more information. You can participate by making a commitment to care for your eyes and ensuring your loved ones do the same. You can also join in the awareness by posting a picture of yourself on social media with the hashtag #Love Your Eyes#.
Together, let us join the campaign to love your eyes and increase awareness on eye care.